21 Questions with… Fashion Photographer Emma Summerton
Emma Summerton is easily one of the country’s biggest fashion exports, shooting for publications like Vogue and W, brands like Miu Miu and Prada, and models like Gisele Bundchen, Anja Rubik, Karlie Kloss, Freja Beja Erichsen, Abbey Lee and Catherine McNeil.
The photography fanatic also recently shot River Island‘s new campaign in the ever-stylish New York, which gave us the opportunity to talk to Emma about career highlights, memorable on-set moments and her thoughts on the fashion industry.
Get to know Emma by seeing how she answered our quick-fire questions below.
- Something people don’t realize about photography is… The technical side is a lot of fun! Science and art collide.
- The most exciting publication or brand I’ve ever worked for is… Impossible to say. Luckily my job is exciting most of the time. My first shoot for Vogue Italy was pretty exciting. I had always wanted to shoot for them so it was a milestone.
- My favorite shoot to date is… Again, impossible to say. You become attached to shoots for many reasons but if I had to say it would be my last one for W magazine with Edward [Enninful]. Oh, and a story not out yet with Patti Wilson in Times Square! See, I can’t choose one.
- If I wasn’t a photographer I would be… A painter.
- The best thing about New York is… My boyfriend, my cats, my friends, my agent… so the people I love.
- My most memorable moment on-set was… Hard question. So many, probably. It’s moments like when you see someone like Kristen McNemany or Kate Moss transform into the character, become the picture and they take you with them.
- If I could describe the fashion industry in one word it would be… Ahhh, one is not enough. I’d say fun and chaos.
- My biggest “pinch me” moment was… Working with Cate Blanchett.
- One thing I’ve never done but I’ve always wanted to do is… Make a movie.
- The biggest misconception about models are… It’s all about the way they look.
- The Australian fashion industry stands out because… It does its own thing.
- The reason I’m focusing on fashion is that… It happened and now I love it.
- One person, I would really like to work with is… Marilyn Monroe.
- My favorite model to shoot was… I can’t choose!
- I keep grounded in this industry by… Working hard and keeping it real.
- My big goal in life is to… Be content.
- The only reason I would stop photographing would be if… I lost my sight.
- The difference between being behind the camera rather than in front is… Huge!
- The way I feel about Instagram is… It’s fun.
- The way I feel about fashion bloggers is… They are fun.
- The greatest life advice I’ve ever received was … “It never happens when you want it but it’s always right on time.”
Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit